[neutron] change of API performance from Pike to Yoga

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Tue Jul 5 07:38:02 UTC 2022

Hi,

Dnia poniedziałek, 4 lipca 2022 16:31:13 CEST Bence Romsics pisze:
> Hi Neutrinos!
>
> Inspired by Julia Kreger's presentation on the summit [1] I wanted to
> gather some ideas about the change in Neutron API performance.
>
> For that I used Rally with Neutron's usual Rally task definition [2].
> I measured against an all-in-one devstack - running always in a same
> sized VM, keeping its local.conf the same between versions as much as
> possible. Neutron was configured with ml2/ovs. Measuring other
> backends would also be interesting, but first I wanted to keep the
> config the same as I was going back to earlier versions as long as
> possible.
>
> Without much pain I managed to collect data starting from Yoga back to Pike.
>
> You can download all Rally reports in this tarball (6 MiB):
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TjFV7UWtX_sofjw3_njL6-6ezD7IPmsj/view?usp=sharing
>
> The tarball also contains data about how to reproduce these tests. It
> is currently available at my personal Google Drive. I will keep this
> around at least to the end of July. I would be happy to upload it to
> somewhere else better suited for long term storage.
>
> Let me also attach a single plot (I hope the mailing list
> configuration allows this) that shows the load_duration (actually the
> average of 3 runs each) for each Rally scenario by OpenStack release.
> Which I hope is the single picture summary of these test runs. However
> the Rally reports contain much more data, feel free to download and
> browse them. If the mailing list strips the attachment, the picture is
> included in the tarball too.
>
> Cheers,
> Bence (rubasov)
>
> [1] https://youtu.be/OqcnXxTbIxk
> [2] https://opendev.org/openstack/neutron/src/commit/a9912caf3fa1e258621965ea8c6295a2eac9887c/rally-jobs/task-neutron.yaml

Thx Bence for that. So from just brief look at load_duration.png file it seems that we are improving API performance in last cycles :)

I was also thinking about doing something similar to what Julia described in Berlin (but I still didn't had time for it). But I was thinking that instead of using rally, maybe we can do something similar like Ironic is doing and have some simple script which will populate neutron db with many resources, like e.g. 2-3k ports/networks/trunks etc. and then measure time of e.g. doing "list" of those resources.
That way we will IMHO measure only neutron API performance and Neutron - DB interactions, without relying on the backends and other components, like e.g. Nova to spawn actual VM. Wdyt about it? Is it worth to do or it will be better to rely on the rally only?

--
Slawek Kaplonski
Principal Software Engineer