[neutron] change of API performance from Pike to Yoga

Bence Romsics bence.romsics at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 14:31:13 UTC 2022

Hi Neutrinos!

Inspired by Julia Kreger's presentation on the summit [1] I wanted to
gather some ideas about the change in Neutron API performance.

For that I used Rally with Neutron's usual Rally task definition [2].
I measured against an all-in-one devstack - running always in a same
sized VM, keeping its local.conf the same between versions as much as
possible. Neutron was configured with ml2/ovs. Measuring other
backends would also be interesting, but first I wanted to keep the
config the same as I was going back to earlier versions as long as
possible.

Without much pain I managed to collect data starting from Yoga back to Pike.

You can download all Rally reports in this tarball (6 MiB):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TjFV7UWtX_sofjw3_njL6-6ezD7IPmsj/view?usp=sharing

The tarball also contains data about how to reproduce these tests. It
is currently available at my personal Google Drive. I will keep this
around at least to the end of July. I would be happy to upload it to
somewhere else better suited for long term storage.

Let me also attach a single plot (I hope the mailing list
configuration allows this) that shows the load_duration (actually the
average of 3 runs each) for each Rally scenario by OpenStack release.
Which I hope is the single picture summary of these test runs. However
the Rally reports contain much more data, feel free to download and
browse them. If the mailing list strips the attachment, the picture is
included in the tarball too.

Cheers,
Bence (rubasov)

[1] https://youtu.be/OqcnXxTbIxk