[stable][requirements][zuul] unpinned setuptools dependency on stable

Előd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Wed Sep 22 12:56:43 UTC 2021

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed summary gibi!

Let me share my view:

Option 1: Since the time I am reviewing stable patches I remember that
we usually avoided dependency's version bumps (except the case when the
new pip dependency resolver started to work properly and revealed that
lot of the lower constraints settings were broken) on stable branches.
The written rule is "Following the Review guidelines. Specifically, not
allowing backports of new features, *new* *dependencies*, or backward
incompatible changes" [1].

Option 2: In OpenStack projects (who follows stable policy) we use
global requirements, and upper constraints for stable branches. Why not
use the same for the tools as well? It caused problem in the past as
well (changes in virtualenv, setuptools, etc). In my opinion this would
be better or future proof solution. Though it's true, we need to find
the proper place and way to add the new constraints when installing tox
in ensure-tox zuul role.

Option 3: it is really just a temporary solution (maybe worse than
Option 1), though it is probably acceptable to unblock gate on stable
branches until the appropriate solution will be chosen. Also worth to
emphasize that this problem doesn't only affect lower-constraints tests,
but also could affect branches where we have old packages (versions) in
upper-constraints.txt!

Option 4: I'm not familiar with pyproject.toml, but I'm curious about
the opinions of those who already used/uses it.

Long story short: I'd recommend option 2, as I think that is the best
solution and fits the best to OpenStack stable way of working... If that
is possible to add in our zuul job roles.

Nevertheless, I am curious about further opinions from the community.
Thanks,

Előd

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html#active-maintenance