[stable][requirements][zuul] unpinned setuptools dependency on stable

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Sep 22 13:15:13 UTC 2021

On 2021-09-22 14:56:43 +0200 (+0200), Előd Illés wrote:
[...]
> Option 3: it is really just a temporary solution (maybe worse than
> Option 1), though it is probably acceptable to unblock gate on
> stable branches until the appropriate solution will be chosen.
> Also worth to emphasize that this problem doesn't only affect
> lower-constraints tests, but also could affect branches where we
> have old packages (versions) in upper-constraints.txt!
[...]

Do also note that all solutions in this space are effectively
temporary. When we drafted the stable branch and extended
maintenance policies, we accepted that there comes a time for any
job where circumstances may prevent us from being able to
effectively continue running it. If the complexity of the solution
outweighs the *temporary* benefits of being able to run the job for
longer, it may not be worth the effort.

While we almost certainly could come up with a non-default
replacement for Zuul's standard tox job which allows us to use
specific versions of tox, virtualenv, pip, setuptools, et cetera,
that added complexity does not come for free. It has a maintenance
cost which extends far into the future. Also think back on the times
when we've reached for the "easy" solution of pinning such tools in
other frameworks like DevStack: everyone's in a rush to stop the
bleeding and get back to testing, but nobody cares about fixing the
underlying issue and so such things end up pinned for years until
that pinning breaks something else because we're blind to all the
bitrot around us.

And then there's the fact that while we can "fix" things this way in
CI jobs, these are ultimately tools for our developers which we just
happen to also be able to run in the CI system, not the other way
around. Pinning setuptools in the tox jobs does not solve this for
developers running tox locally on their own systems. Are we going to
start providing them with a list of specific versions of these tools
which we're only able to test with, substantially increasing the
complexity of setting up local dev environments and making it even
harder for newcomers to contribute to the project?

The stable branch policy is a set of guidelines and suggestions, not
an unbreakable covenant. It's there to help us make sound choices
under normal circumstances, but we should not be afraid to come to a
collective decision about making policy exceptions in unusual
situations such as this one.
--
Jeremy Stanley