[cinder] OpenStack lvm and Shared Storage

pradyumna borge pshreee at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 13:51:52 UTC 2021

Hi,

In a mulit-node setup do we need to provide shared storage via Cinder
when setting up the second compute node?

In a typical mulit-node setup we will have:
1. First node as Controller node acting as a Compute node too. This
   will have Cinder *lvm*.
2. Second node as Compute node.
   1. Will this node have any storage via lvm? If yes then how will
      the first compute node access storage on the second node?
   2. Likewise, how can the VMs on this second node access storage on
      the first compute node?

My other questions are:
1. So if I spawn a VM on the second Compute node, where will the disks
   of the VM reside?
2. Can I attach attach a disk on the first node to a VM on the second
   node?
3. Do I have to configure NFS storge as shared storage for Cinder?
4. Does Cinder take care of sharing the disks (I dont think so)
5. What are the steps to setup devstack for multi-node and multi
   storage (nfs and lvm)

~ shree