[Kolla] update

Pierre Riteau pierre at stackhpc.com
Mon Aug 30 16:28:18 UTC 2021

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 at 18:21, Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2021-08-30 at 17:46 +0200, Ignazio Cassano wrote:
> > Hello, I would like to ask if the procedure I am using for update my kolla
> > wallaby is correct.
> > Every week new images are released so I execute the following steps:
> >
> > 1. Pull new images on my local registry
> >
> > 2 pull new images from my local registry to controllers and compute nodes
> >
> > 3 kolla-ansible deploy
> >
> > Are the above steps the correct way or I missed something?
> > Must I clean something before deploying ?
> > Thanks
>
> that is more or less what i have seen recommended in the past yes.
>
> you cna use deploy or reconfigure.
> in generall kolla-ansible upgrade is not needed unless you are doing a major version bump
> so in your case pulling the images then running deploy should simply replace the containers.
>
> one thing you are proably missing is removing unused un tagged images form the nodes.
> e.g. you will want to perodically remove the old images so that they disks dont fill up.
>
> you also proably want to add a staging step between 1 and 2 wheere you test thsi on a small test env first just to make sure there
> are no surpriese before pushing to production.
> >
> > Ignazio

Also worth mentioning that the Train release added the kolla-ansible
deploy-containers command. From the release notes: This action will
only do the container comparison and deploy out new containers if that
comparison detects a change is needed. This should be used to get
updated container images, where no new config changes are needed,
deployed out quickly.

But for a weekly update I would recommend using deploy or reconfigure,
to make sure the configuration is updated if required.