[glance] "true is not of type boolean" when creating protected image

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Thu May 28 12:59:03 UTC 2020

On 5/27/20 7:26 AM, Bernd Bausch wrote:
> This problem occurs on a stable Ussuri Devstack. I issue this command to
> create a protected image:
>
> $ openstack image create myimage2 --file ~/myvm1.qcow2 --disk-format
> qcow2  --protected
>
> and get this error message back:
>
> BadRequestException: 400: Client Error for url:
> http://192.168.1.200/image/v2/images, 400 Bad Request: On
> instance['protected']:: 'type':
> 'boolean'}: {'description': 'If true, image
> will not be deletable.',: 'True': Provided object does
> not match schema 'image': 'True' is not of type
> 'boolean': Failed validating 'type' in
> schema['properties']['protected']:
>
> It seems that image creation fails because
>
> 'True' is not of type 'boolean'

'True' (capital T) is not a valid JSON boolean value, so if that's
what's in the request JSON, it should fail schema validation.

> Am I looking at a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Looks like a bug.

> I do have a great workaround: First, create the image without the
> protected flag. Then:
>
> $ openstack image set --protected myimage2
>
> This works.

I suggest making both calls with the --debug option so you can compare
the JSON being passed in the unsuccessful vs. the successful request.
This will give you a better idea of whether the problem is client-side
or server-side, and then you can file a bug with the appropriate project.