[glance] "true is not of type boolean" when creating protected image

Bernd Bausch berndbausch at gmail.com
Wed May 27 11:26:30 UTC 2020

This problem occurs on a stable Ussuri Devstack. I issue this command to
create a protected image:

$ openstack image create myimage2 --file ~/myvm1.qcow2 --disk-format
qcow2  --protected

and get this error message back:

BadRequestException: 400: Client Error for url:
http://192.168.1.200/image/v2/images, 400 Bad Request: On
instance['protected']:: 'type':
'boolean'}: {'description': 'If true, image
will not be deletable.',: 'True': Provided object does
not match schema 'image': 'True' is not of type
'boolean': Failed validating 'type' in
schema['properties']['protected']:

It seems that image creation fails because

'True' is not of type 'boolean'

Am I looking at a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I do have a great workaround: First, create the image without the
protected flag. Then:

$ openstack image set --protected myimage2

This works.