OSC future (formerly [glance] Different checksum between CLI and curl)

Artem Goncharov artem.goncharov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 06:19:19 UTC 2020

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020, 00:03 melanie witt, <melwittt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/5/20 12:11, Adam Harwell wrote:
> > Well, part of maintaining feature parity is that the features should be
> > added to the OSC by the project team at the time they're made -- you're
> > already doing the work to add them to your own client, so instead, do
> > the same amount of work but add them in OSC instead! It doesn't seem
> > incredibly onerous to me. If the OSC plugin for your project IS the
> > official client, then there's no duplication of effort. I think saying
> > "someone else had better implement our features in a timely fashion" is
> > a bit irresponsible. Though, this is coming from working on a project
> > where we aren't used to being included as a "core piece" and having any
> > work done for us, ever...
>
> I think this is the key point regarding the lack of feature parity in
> OSC for some projects.
>
> If you are a new-enough project to have begun your CLI as an OSC plugin
> (examples: ironic client, placement client, and more) then adding a
> feature to the client is one shot. You add support in the plugin and
> you're done.
>
> If you are an older project (examples: nova client, glance client) then
> you have a two-step process for adding a feature to OSC. For older
> projects, OSC imports the legacy clients and calls their python bindings
> to make the API calls. So for nova, if you want to add a feature to the
> client, you have to add it to the legacy nova client. This is required.
> Then, to add it to OSC you have to add it to OSC and have OSC call the
> newly added legacy binding for the feature. This is [technically]
> optional. This is why parity is missing.

Hopefully in some days for glance this will not be necessary anymore, since
there is a patch waiting to be merged, which switches OSC to SDK for Glance
and removes glanceclient from dependencies. For neutron it is not required
since long time.

But still, what you say was real way to implement things, but it doesn't
mean it is a correct or the easiest way. Instead if team once invests time
to bring OSC Plugin, which bases on SDK in parity ... - the old client
might be deprecated and you don't have this double efforts.

The SDK/OSC team can not and should not try to catch all projects with
their features each release - it is impossible (there are just 3 active
cores in SDK now but hundreds of projects we might want to support). This
team enables projects in a "unified technology stack" so that they become
responsible for implementing all new features there.

> It pains me a bit to write it ^ because you may be thinking, "what's so
> difficult about going the extra step to add a feature to OSC after
> adding it to nova client?" I don't know. Maybe people are too stressed
> and busy. If it's not "required", it gets deferred. Maybe people don't
> feel familiar enough with OSC to add the feature there as well. There
> could be a lot of different reasons.
>
> So, not trying to make excuses here but just sharing my opinion on why
> adding features to OSC is not so simple for some projects.

It's not if you prioritize things not correctly and chooses complex
direction.

I'm laughing so loud, that this "storm" started just out of one question
"OSC works correct, but curl not, so what am I doing wrong". It just one
more time convinces me in some form of radicalisation of some projects
against bringing things in order.

Regards,
Artem