[openstack-dev] [goals][tc][ptl][uc] starting goal selection for T series

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Wed Sep 26 18:55:49 UTC 2018

Doug,

Thanks for raising this. I'd like to highlight the goal "Finish moving legacy python-*client CLIs to python-openstackclient" from the etherpad and propose this for a T/U series goal.

To give it some context and the motivation:

At CERN, we have more than 3000 users of the OpenStack cloud. We write an extensive end user facing documentation which explains how to use the OpenStack along with CERN specific features (such as workflows for requesting projects/quotas/etc.).

One regular problem we come across is that the end user experience is inconsistent. In some cases, we find projects which are not covered by the unified OpenStack client (e.g. Manila). In other cases, there are subsets of the function which require the native project client.

I would strongly support a goal which targets

- All new projects should have the end user facing functionality fully exposed via the unified client
- Existing projects should aim to close the gap within 'N' cycles (N to be defined)
- Many administrator actions would also benefit from integration (reader roles are end users too so list and show need to be covered too)
- Users should be able to use a single openrc for all interactions with the cloud (e.g. not switch between password for some CLIs and Kerberos for OSC)

The end user perception of a solution will be greatly enhanced by a single command line tool with consistent syntax and authentication framework.

It may be a multi-release goal but it would really benefit the cloud consumers and I feel that goals should include this audience also.

Tim