[nova][neutron][ptg] How to increase the minimum bandwidth guarantee of a running instance

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at est.tech
Fri Jun 5 15:37:39 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 16:29, Balázs Gibizer
<balazs.gibizer at est.tech> wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 13:50, Balázs Gibizer
> <balazs.gibizer at est.tech> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 23:48, Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On Tue, 2020-05-19 at 21:55 +0200, Slawek Kaplonski wrote:
>>>

> [snip]
>

> Also I would like to tease out the Neutron team's opinion about the
> option of implementing Option B on the neutron side. E.g.:
> * User request a min bw rule replacement
> * Neutron reads the current allocation of the port.device_id (i.e
> instance_uuid) from placement
> * Neutron calculates the difference between the bw resource request
> of the old min bw rule and the new min bw rule
> * Neutron adds this difference to the bw allocation of the RP
> indicated by the value of port.binding_profile['allocation'] (which
> is an RP uuid) and the PUTs the new instance allocation back to
> placement. If the PUT /allocations call succeed the the rule
> replacement is accepted and if the PUT /allocations fails then the
> rule replacement is rejected to the end user.

On the PTG we agreed that
* There will be an RFE on neutron to allow in-place min bandwidth
allocation change based on the above drafted sequence
* Triggering a resize due to interface attach or port.resource_request
change seems insane. In the future we might look at that from a
different perspective. I.e. What if a resize could take a new parameter
that indicates that the resize is not due to flavor change but due to
bandwidth change.

Cheers,
gibi

[snip]