[nova][neutron][ptg] Future of the routed network support

Balázs Gibizer balazs.gibizer at est.tech
Fri Jun 5 15:25:56 UTC 2020

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 16:03, Balázs Gibizer
<balazs.gibizer at est.tech> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [This is a topic from the PTG etherpad [0]. As the PTG time is
> intentionally kept short, let's try to discuss it or even conclude it
> before the PTG]
>
> There is only basic scheduling support in nova for the neutron routed
> networks feature (server create with port.ip_allocation=deferred
> seems to work). There was multiple attempts in the past to complete
> the support (e.g.server create with  port.ip_allocation=immediate or
> server move operations). The latest attempt started by Matt couple of
> cycles ago, and in the last cycle I tried to push that forward[1].
> When I added this topic to the PTG etherpad I thought I will have
> time in the Victoria cycle to continue [1] but internal priorities
> has changed. So finishing this feature needs some developers. If
> there are volunteers for Victoria then please let me know and then we
> can keep this as a topic for the PTG but otherwise I will remove it
> from the schedule.

Sylvain stepped up to continue the nova effort and he also started a
spec [1] about it. On the PTG we agreed in Victoria we do the next step
on the nova side that does not require any neutron changes right now.
If both nova and neutron have extra brainpower then we will continue
discussing the more generic cross-project effort.

Cheers,
gibi

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/733703