[tripleo] tripleo-operator-ansible start and request for input

Luke Short ekultails at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 22:42:31 UTC 2020

Hey Alex,

This is a great starting point! Thanks for sharing. I personally prefer the
variables approach. This more-so aligns with the best practices for
creating an Ansible role. An operator could provide a single variables file
that has the booleans set for what they want configured. This also makes it
easier to include/import the role once and then have it do multiple
actions. For example, tripleo-undercloud can be used for both installation
and backup. CI could even consume this to run "all the things" from the
role by setting those extra variables. We provide the playbooks and the
operators configure the variables for their environment. Long-term, I see
TripleO consuming a single or few straight-forward Ansible variables files
that define the entire deployment as opposed to the giant monster that Heat
templates have become. Those are just my initial thoughts on the matter. I
am interested to see what others think as well.

Sincerely,
     Luke Short