[qa][all] pip 20.3 breaks jobs

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue Dec 1 02:11:34 UTC 2020

 ---- On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 10:43:47 -0600 Neil Jerram <neil at tigera.io> wrote ----
 > On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 4:18 PM Balázs Gibizer <balazs.gibizer at est.tech> wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Today pip 20.3 is released[1] and jobs started failing during keystone
 > install in devstack with:
 >
 > 2020-11-30 15:14:31.117 | + inc/python:pip_install:193               :
 >  sudo -H LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 SETUPTOOLS_USE_DISTUTILS=stdlib http_proxy=
 > https_proxy= no_proxy= PIP_FIND_LINKS=
 > SETUPTOOLS_SYS_PATH_TECHNIQUE=rewrite python3.6 -m pip install -c
 > /opt/stack/old/requirements/upper-constraints.txt -e
 > /opt/stack/old/neutron
 > 2020-11-30 15:14:32.271 | Looking in indexes:
 > https://mirror.gra1.ovh.opendev.org/pypi/simple,
 > https://mirror.gra1.ovh.opendev.org/wheel/ubuntu-18.04-x86_64
 > 2020-11-30 15:14:32.272 | DEPRECATION: Constraints are only allowed to
 > take the form of a package name and a version specifier. Other forms
 > were originally permitted as an accident of the implementation, but
 > were undocumented. The new implementation of the resolver no longer
 > supports these forms. A possible replacement is replacing the
 > constraint with a requirement.. You can find discussion regarding this
 > at https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/8210.
 > 2020-11-30 15:14:32.272 | ERROR: Links are not allowed as constraints
 >
 > Ah, snap!  I just started another thread about this; sorry for not seeing your thread first.

As a workaround to unblock the gate, Elod proposed to cap the pip in devstack for now as we
are not sure of how to fix and how much work needed and I agree with that step.

Due to grenade jobs failure, we need to apply this workaround on all stable branches until Stable/ussuri.
Stable/train and lower branches are already capped with pip10[1].

These are the patches proposed:
- https://review.opendev.org/q/I1feed4573820436f91f8f654cc189fa3a21956fd

Also, I filled a bug in devstack to track this further:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/devstack/+bug/1906322

[1] https://github.com/openstack/devstack/blob/1b35581bb096883ceafbfeea286153eaec184c17/tools/install_pip.sh#L94

-gmann