[cliff] [dev] Cliff auto completion not working inside interactive mode

sandeep sandeep.ee.nagendra at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 09:34:41 UTC 2020

Hi Team,

In my system, I am trying auto completion for my CLI application.

CLIFF version - cliff==3.4.0
Auto complete works fine on bash prompt.

But inside the interactive shell, auto complete does not work.

Below is the output for the help command inside the interactive shell.

(appcli) help

Miscellaneous help topics:
==========================
help

Application commands (type help <topic>):
complete
snapshot list reports
service restart service-object-type app2
service restart service-object-type app3
service restart service-object-type app4
service show state service-object-type app1
service show state service-object-type app2
service show state service-object-type app3
service show state service-object-type app4
swm rollback node
swm cancel sw-update
swm downgrade node
swm list sw-info
swm show sw-info
swm start sw-update file
swm start sw-downgrade
help

Now, if I type swm and press tab, it lists all the sub commands under it.

(appcli) swm
cancel sw-update
list sw-info
start sw-update file
downgrade node
rollback node
show sw-info
start sw-downgrade

But if i type,

(appcli) swm s<tab> gives below output,
(appcli) swm "s

It stops at this point and further pressing tab does not autocomplete.

Could you please let me know what could be the problem?

Is this a known issue? or Am i missing something?

Thanks,
Sandeep