[tc][neutron] Supported Linux distributions and their kernel

Matthew Thode mthode at mthode.org
Sun Sep 8 18:21:57 UTC 2019

On 19-09-05 15:10:17, Adrian Chiris wrote:
> Greetings,
> I was wondering what is the guideline in regards to which kernels are supported by OpenStack in the various Linux distributions.
>
> Looking at [1], Taking for example latest CentOS major (7):
> Every  "minor" version is released with a different kernel version,
> the oldest being released in 2014 (CentOS 7.0, kernel 3.10.0-123) and the newest released in 2018 (CentOS 7.6, kernel 3.10.0-957)
>
> While I understand that OpenStack projects are expected to support all CentOS 7.x releases.
> Does the same applies for the kernels they originally came out with?
>
> The reason I'm asking, is because I was working on doing some cleanup in neutron [2] for a workaround introduced because of an old kernel bug,
> It is unclear to me if it is safe to introduce this change.
>
> [1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/project-testing-interface.html#linux-distributions
> [2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/677095/
>
> Thanks,
>     Adrian.

For kernel support the way we (gentoo) do it (downstream) is to have
checks to make sure the running kernel has the needed modules enabled
(either statically or as a module).  See the linked ebuild for our
syntax (it basically checks /proc/config.gz though).

https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/blob/master/net-misc/openvswitch/openvswitch-2.11.1-r1.ebuild#L39-L54

--
Matthew Thode