[all][tc] Planning for dropping the Python2 support in OpenStack

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue Oct 29 22:29:10 UTC 2019

 ---- On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 16:32:59 -0500 Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote ----
 > On 10/29/2019 2:53 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
 > > I chated with timburke on IRC about things required by swift to keep the py2.7 support[1]. Below are
 > > client lib/middleware swift required for py2 testing.
 > >   @timburke, feel free to update if any missing point.
 > >
 > > - keystoneclient and openstackclient  (dep of keystonemiddleware)
 >
 > openstackclient is not a library so I'm a bit confused about the point
 > about keeping python2 support in python-openstackclient for swift.

We do not need to keep the py2 in OSC, we are good to drop it in phase-1 and other client lib (python-*client) are target
in phase-2.

As swift keeping the py2.7 support, we need to find out how we can make it work for swift and its py2.7 testing.
Capping the swift's dependency version for python2.7 is an option where dependency can drop the support and
swift use of the older version for py2.7 support/testing.

Till now there is no strict requirement from anyone to block anyone to drop the py2.7. If any project like Swift
which is the only project in the list of keeping the support has other projects/lib dependency then they need
to work with version cap (as long as dependency also keeping the support).

-gmann