[qa] [all] Opinion on dropping the py2.7 support from Tempest & Tempest plugin

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Wed Oct 23 19:36:48 UTC 2019

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 1:27 PM Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/23/2019 2:08 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> > What happens if we drop py2.7 from Tempest:
> > * Users with the above case have the way to install the latest Tempest
> on virtual env of py3. or use
> >     the Tempest tag if they do not need latest Tempest.
>
> This seems sufficient to me and testing from a tag is what we're doing
> upstream in stable/ocata and stable/pike branches anyway - not because
> of python version stuff but because of extended maintenance and backward
> incompatible changes since those branches which break testing in ocata
> and pike with tempest from master.
>
> > Other solution:
> > One way is to cut the Tempest stable branch and keep the py2.7 support
> there with eligible backport from Tempest
> > master which is py3 only. But I would say, QA team has no bandwidth to
> do so. if anyone wants to maintain that then
> > we can discuss this option in more detail.
>
> I would avoid creating a stable branch for tempest if at all possible
> since we have valid options to workaround it (above) and I just don't
> think we want toy with that idea and the precedent it could set for
> relaxing other rules around how tempest is developed.

My concern is that in tripleo/puppet we currently rely on centos7/python2
as centos8 is still not yet available.  So this pretty much means we likely
won't be able to run the latest tempest anymore and there goes our
validations.  We could pin to a version (we've had to do that in the past)
but I'd be concerned about things that go untested until we can finally get
python3 available.  I think it might be beneficial to have a py2-em branch
similar to what we do when we create -em branches where folks who still
have to have python2 wouldn't be completely blocked.

Thanks,
-Alex