[qa] [all] Opinion on dropping the py2.7 support from Tempest & Tempest plugin

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 19:22:54 UTC 2019

On 10/23/2019 2:08 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
> What happens if we drop py2.7 from Tempest:
> * Users with the above case have the way to install the latest Tempest on virtual env of py3. or use
>     the Tempest tag if they do not need latest Tempest.

This seems sufficient to me and testing from a tag is what we're doing
upstream in stable/ocata and stable/pike branches anyway - not because
of python version stuff but because of extended maintenance and backward
incompatible changes since those branches which break testing in ocata
and pike with tempest from master.

> Other solution:
> One way is to cut the Tempest stable branch and keep the py2.7 support there with eligible backport from Tempest
> master which is py3 only. But I would say, QA team has no bandwidth to do so. if anyone wants to maintain that then
> we can discuss this option in more detail.

I would avoid creating a stable branch for tempest if at all possible
since we have valid options to workaround it (above) and I just don't
think we want toy with that idea and the precedent it could set for
relaxing other rules around how tempest is developed.

Matt