[tc] Feedback on Airship pilot project

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Oct 17 16:39:05 UTC 2019

On 2019-10-17 12:10:17 -0400 (-0400), Chris Morgan wrote:
> I notice that although the code is released under the Apache license,
> looking at a conceivable real at-scale deployment one would need to read
> docs still marked as belonging to AT&T, for example
>
> https://opendev.org/airship/treasuremap links to
> https://airship-treasuremap.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
>
> which is marked "© Copyright 2018 AT&T Intellectual Property. Revision
> 93aed048."
>
> I do not know if this is a problem, per se, but does not seem entirely
> openstack-like to me.
[...]

Thanks for pointing this out! It looks like that's coming from here:

In OpenStack we've also not been great about consistency when it
comes to the copyright directive in our Sphinx configs. A lot of
those indicate "OpenStack Foundation" as the copyright holder, which
isn't right either:

But more to the point, trying to express specific copyright in that
field is not a good idea anyway, since various files within the
documentation source are likely to have copyright from a variety of
entities. What's usually worked best is a vague expression like
"Airship Contributors" similar to that of oslo.messaging (I picked
this example at random because I know the Oslo team tends to pay
closer attention to these sorts of details):

It also doesn't help that the copyright holder's legal entity name
is actually "AT&T Intellectual Property" rather than just "AT&T" or
something, which makes it sound all the more possessive, but that's
a corporate legal thing on their end for which we're unlikely to
convince them otherwise.
--
Jeremy Stanley