About the constraints url.

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Mon May 27 22:58:16 UTC 2019

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 09:18:19AM +0200, Natal Ngétal wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm little lost or totally lost, actually. Sorry if a mail have
> already sent, I have not find it. If I have understood correctly, the
> url to use for the constraints is:
>
> https://releases.openstack.org/constraints/upper/master

Correct, that is the preferred URL on master with

https://releases.openstack.org/constraints/upper/$series

being the form on stable branches.

> One question, this rule is the same for all projects? I'm also bit
> confused, I know the oslo projects must be use this url, and I have a
> patch is blocked for this reason:
>
> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/658296/

This is on stable/stein where we need it to match the form above to
enable os-vif to out live openstack-requirements

> The url is not good in master also, so I have make a patch for it:
>
> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/661100/

Thanks, the requirements team has committed to making this change, so
you can expect a conflicting change in the near future ;P

> So why I'm confused, because in the same project, few patches with the
> bad url was validate or merge:
>
> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/655650/
> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/655649/
> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/655648/
> https://review.opendev.org/#/c/655640/
>
> So which url must be used for constraints and this a global for all
> openstack projects? Then can we be careful, when we review a patch
> about this and not mixed up both url.

The bottom line is these patches were generated by a well meaning but
slightly out of touch member of the community.  They're not wrong,
they're just not the preferred direction for the requirements team.

on *master* you can use the git URLs and ignore/abandon the changes the
requirements team generate.  I'll be a little sad if you do as then
master is more different to a stable branch but nothing will break if
you point directly at opedev.org/.../master/.../upper-constraints.txt.

The same isn't true for stable/$series.  Using git will break just not for
somewhere between 1-4 years from now.

Yours Tony.