[cinder] ceph multiattach details?

Bernd Bausch berndbausch at gmail.com
Mon May 27 07:43:11 UTC 2019

The Stein release notes mention that the RBD driver now supports
multiattach, but i have not found any details. Are there limitations? Is
there a need to configure anything?

In the RBD driver
<https://opendev.org/openstack/cinder/src/branch/master/cinder/volume/drivers/rbd.py#L767>,
I find this:

     def _enable_multiattach(self, volume):
         multipath_feature_exclusions = [
             self.rbd.RBD_FEATURE_JOURNALING,
             self.rbd.RBD_FEATURE_FAST_DIFF,
             self.rbd.RBD_FEATURE_OBJECT_MAP,
             self.rbd.RBD_FEATURE_EXCLUSIVE_LOCK,
         ]

This seems to mean that journaling and other features (to me, it's not
quite clear what they are) will be automatically disabled when switching
on multiattachment.

Further down in the code I see that replication and multiattach are
mutually exclusive.

Is there some documentation about the Ceph multiattach feature, even an
email thread?

Thanks,

Bernd