[watcher] Question about baremetal node support in nova CDM

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri May 24 19:27:18 UTC 2019

On 5/24/2019 1:39 AM, info at dantalion.nl wrote:
> I think we should look into if bare metal
> nodes are stored in the compute_model as I think it would more sense to
> filter them out.

The tricky thing with this would be there isn't a great way to identify
a baremetal node from a kvm node, for example. There is a
hypervisor_type column on the compute_nodes table in the nova cell DB,
but it's not exposed in the API.

Two obvious differences would be:

1. The hypervisor_hostname on an ironic node in the os-hypervisors API
is a UUID rather than a normal hostname. That could be one way to try
and identify an ironic node (hypervisor).

2. For servers, the associated flavor should have a CUSTOM resource
class extra spec associated with it and the VCPU, DISK_GB, and MEMORY_MB
resource classes should also be zero'ed out in the flavor per [1]. The
server OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:hypervisor_hostname field would also be a UUID
like above (the UUID is the ironic node ID).

[1]
https://docs.openstack.org/ironic/latest/install/configure-nova-flavors.html

Matt