[watcher] Question about baremetal node support in nova CDM

info at dantalion.nl info at dantalion.nl
Fri May 24 06:39:11 UTC 2019

Hello,

I haven't investigated thoroughly but I suspect that the bare metal
nodes returned from the hypervisor calls are not handled by the nova
CDM just like you expect. I think we should look into if bare metal
nodes are stored in the compute_model as I think it would more sense to
filter them out.

Overall I think the way Watcher handles bare metal nodes must be
analysed and improved for example the saving energy strategy uses the
ironic client directly and there is currently not a single strategy that
accesses the baremetal_model.

Maybe I have time to test my suspicions in a test environment with both
ironic and hypervisor nodes next week.