[cyborg][nova][sdk]Cyborgclient integration

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu May 23 20:23:16 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 1:03 PM Nadathur, Sundar
<sundar.nadathur at intel.com> wrote:
> The python-cyborgclient [2] is being used by the cyborg CLI. No other OpenStack services call into Cyborg using the client.
>
> The CLI from python-cyborgclient is based on the OpenStack CLI syntax. However, AFAICS, it is not a plugin into OSC. For example, it does not do "from openstackclient import shell". The list of OpenStack CLI plugins [3] does not include Cyborg.
>
> Does this mean that python-cyborgclient should be rewritten as an OSC plugin?

This is one option and the option that lets the Cyborg team have total
control over their CLI.  Some teams want that, other teams do not.

> IIUC, the push towards OpenStack SDK [4] is unrelated to OpenStack CLI. It becomes relevant only if some other service wants to call into Cyborg.

Yes and no.  The two things are generally independent, however they
will eventually fit together in that we want OSC to use the SDK for
all back-end work soon(TM), depending on when we get an SDK 1.0
release.

At the 2018 Denver PTG we started thinking about what OSC plugins that
use the SDK would look like, and the only things left in the plugin
itself would be the cliff command classes.  Since SDK is accepting
direct support for official projects directly in the repo, OSC will
consider doing the same for commands that do not require any
additional dependencies, ie if Cyborg were completely backed by the
SDK we would consider adding its commands directly to the OSC repo.

This is a significant change for OSC, and would come with one really
large caveat: commands must maintain the same level of consistency
that the rest of the commands in the OSC repo maintain.  ie, 'update'
is not a verb, resources do not contain hyphens in their names, etc.
There are projects that have deviated from these rules in their
plugins, and there they are free to do that, incurring only the wrath
or disdain or joy of their users for being different.  That is not the
case for commands contained in the OSC repo itself.

dt

--
Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com