[cyborg][nova][sdk]Cyborgclient integration

Nadathur, Sundar sundar.nadathur at intel.com
Thu May 23 17:51:46 UTC 2019

Yes, the changes would not be in Nova. Perhaps Ikuo mentioned Nova as a reference.

> - If in the cyborg CLI, I'm afraid I have very little context there.
> There's a (nearly-official [5]) community push to make all CLIs OSC-based. I'm
> not sure what state the cyborg CLI is in, but I would have expected it will need
> brand new work to expose the v2 changes being done for Train. From that
> perspective I would say: do that via OSC. But that's not really related to
> bp/openstacksdk-in-nova.

We need changes in Cyborg CLI for version 2 (which enables Nova integration, and introduces new objects in the process). New CLIs are supposed to be based on OpenStackClient [1]. Not sure if that is mandatory, but seems like a good idea if we have to redo significant parts of the CLI anyway.

> - If in python-cyborgclient, again I lack background, but I don't think there's a
> need to make changes here. The point of bp/openstacksdk-in-nova (or
> openstacksdk-anywhere) is to get rid of usages of client libraries like python-
> cyborgclient. Where is python-cyborgclient being used today? If it's just in the
> CLI, and you can make the above (conversion to OSC) happen, it may be
> possible to retire python-cyborgclient entirely \o/

The python-cyborgclient [2] is being used by the cyborg CLI. No other OpenStack services call into Cyborg using the client.

The CLI from python-cyborgclient is based on the OpenStack CLI syntax. However, AFAICS, it is not a plugin into OSC. For example, it does not do "from openstackclient import shell". The list of OpenStack CLI plugins [3] does not include Cyborg.

Does this mean that python-cyborgclient should be rewritten as an OSC plugin?

IIUC, the push towards OpenStack SDK [4] is unrelated to OpenStack CLI. It becomes relevant only if some other service wants to call into Cyborg.

> Thanks,
> efried
>
> [0] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/nova-cyborg-interaction

> On 5/23/19 7:58 AM, Ikuo Otani wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am a Cyborg member and take the role of integrating openstacksdk and
> replacing use of python-*client.
> > Related bluespec:
> > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/openstacksdk-in-nova
> >
> > My question is:
> > When the first code should be uploaded to gerrit?
> > From my understanding, we should update cyborg client library
> > referring to openstacksdk rule, and make it reviewed in gerrit by Eric Fried.
> > I'm sorry if I misunderstand.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Ikuo

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/python-openstackclient/latest/