[tc][all] Github mirroring (or lack thereof) for unofficial projects

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Wed May 15 18:05:52 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 1:51 PM Adam Spiers <aspiers at suse.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Jim Rollenhagen <jim at jimrollenhagen.com> wrote:
> >On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 3:05 PM Paul Belanger <pabelanger at redhat.com>
> wrote:

> >> This is something important to keep in mind from infra side, once the
> >> repo is read-only, we lose the ability to use the API to change it.
> >>
> >> From manage-projects.py POV, we can update the description before
> >> flipping the archive bit without issues, just need to make sure we have
> >> the ordering correct.
> >
> >Agree this is a good idea.
>
> Just checking you saw my reply to the same email from Paul?
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2019-May/005846.html

Sorry, yes I saw it, but then later mis-remembered it. :(

> >There's been no objections to this plan for some time now.
>
> I might be missing some context, but I *think* my email could be
> interpreted as an objection based on the reasons listed in it.
>
> Also, the understanding I took away from the PTG session was that
> there was consensus *not* to archive repos, but rather to ensure that
> mirroring and redirects are set up properly.  However I am of course
> very willing to be persuaded otherwise.
>
> Please could you take a look at that mail and let us know what you
> think?  Thanks!

So there's two things to do, in this order:

1) do a proper transfer of the Airship repos
2) Archive any other repos on github that are no longer in the openstack
namespace.

Has the airship team been working with the infra team on getting
the transfer done? I would think that could be done quickly, and then
we can proceed with archiving the others.

// jim