[tc][all][airship] Github mirroring (or lack thereof) for unofficial projects

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Fri May 3 23:05:25 UTC 2019

Paul Belanger <pabelanger at redhat.com> wrote:
>On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 08:48:10PM +0200, Roman Gorshunov wrote:
>>Hello Jim, team,
>>
>>I'm from Airship project. I agree with archival of Github mirrors of
>>repositories.

Which mirror repositories are you referring to here - a subset of the
Airship repos which are no longer needed, or all Airship repo mirrors?

I would prefer the majority of the mirrors not to be archived, for two
reasons which Alan or maybe Matt noted in the Airship discussions this
morning:

    1. Some people instinctively go to GitHub search when they
       want to find a software project.  Having useful search results
       for "airship" on GitHub increases the discoverability of the
       project.

    2. Some people will judge the liveness of a project by its
       activity metrics as shown on GitHub (e.g. number of recent
       commits).  An active mirror helps show that the project is
       alive and well.  In contrast, an archived mirror makes it look
       like the project is dead.

However if you are only talking about a small subset which are no
longer needed, then archiving sounds reasonable.

>>One small suggestion: could we have project descriptions
>>adjusted to point to the new location of the source code repository,
>>please? E.g. "The repo now lives at opendev.org/x/y".

I agree it's helpful if the top-level README.rst has a sentence like
"the authoritative location for this repo is https://...".

>This is something important to keep in mind from infra side, once the
>repo is read-only, we lose the ability to use the API to change it.
>
>From manage-projects.py POV, we can update the description before
>flipping the archive bit without issues, just need to make sure we have
>the ordering correct.
>
>Also, there is no API to unarchive a repo from github sadly, for that a
>human needs to log into github UI and click the button. I have no idea
>why.

Good points, but unless we're talking about a small subset of Airship
repos, I'm a bit puzzled why this is being discussed, because I
thought we reached consensus this morning on a) ensuring that all
Airship projects are continually mirrored to GitHub, and b) trying to
transfer those mirrors from the "openstack" organization to the
"airship" one, assuming we can first persuade GitHub to kick out the
org-squatters.  This transferral would mean that GitHub would
automatically redirect requests from

    https://github.com/openstack/airship-*

    https://github.com/airship/...

Consensus is documented in lines 107-112 of:

    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/airship-ptg-train