[nova][ptg] Summary: Extra specs validation

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu May 9 15:28:03 UTC 2019

On 5/2/2019 11:11 PM, Eric Fried wrote:
> - Do it in the flavor API when extra specs are set (as opposed to e.g.
> during server create)
> - One spec, but two stages:
>    1) For known keys, validate values; do this without a microversion.
>    2) Validate keys, which entails
>       - Standard set of keys (by pattern) known to nova
>       - Mechanism for admin to extend the set for snowflake extra specs
> specific to their deployment / OOT driver / etc.
> - "Validation" will at least comprise messaging/logging.
> - Optional "strict mode" making the operation fail is also a possibility.

I don't remember agreeing to one spec with two stages for this. If you
want to get something approved in workable in Train, validating the
values for known keys is low-hanging-fruit. Figuring out how to validate
known keys in a way that allows out of tree extra specs to work is going
to be a lot more complicated and rat-holey, so I would personally make
those separate efforts and separate specs.

Matt