[telemetry] Team meeting agenda for tomorrow

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu May 9 09:02:15 UTC 2019

On 5/9/19 9:24 AM, Tim Bell wrote:
> Is it time to rethink the approach to telemetry a bit?
>
> Having each project provide its telemetry data (such as Swift with
> statsd -
> https://docs.openstack.org/swift/latest/admin/objectstorage-monitoring.html
>
> or using a framework like Prometheus)?
>
> In the end, the projects are the ones who have the best knowledge of how
> to get the metrics.
>
> Tim

Tim,

statsd for swift is for monitoring, it is *not* a usage metric. Likewise
with Prometheus, who wont care if some data are missing.

I very much would love to have each project handle metrics collection by
themselves. Especially, I always though that the polling system
implemented in Ceilometer is just wrong, and that every service must be
able to report itself rather than being polled. I understand however
that doing polling is easier than implementing such change in every
service, so I get why it has been done this way.

But then we need some kind of timeseries framework within OpenStack as a
whole (through an Oslo library?), and also we must decide on a backend.
Right now, the only serious thing we have is Gnocchi, since influxdb is
gone through the open core model. Or do you have something else to suggest?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)