[nova][dev] Fixing eventlet monkey patching in Nova

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun Mar 17 21:54:14 UTC 2019

On 3/15/19 6:47 PM, Matthew Booth wrote:
> I believe we have 3 options:
>
> 1. Don't import the world in nova/api/openstack/__init__.py
> 2. Change the wsgi entry point to, for eg, nova.wsgi_app
> 3. Do monkey patching in nova/__init__.py

How about: 4. get rid of eventlet?

Eventlet has been the source of troubles in so many cases. The monkey
patching thing is horrible. And I'm not even scratching the fact that
downstream distro maintainers like myself are hitting bugs earlier than
in the gate (example: python 3.7) and left desperately alone praying
that someone will fix the mess, somehow. It's been indeed pretty
depressing to see that it took 4 years to have the Python 3 SSL
handshake issue fixed. I'm not even sure that, at this time, it really
is fixed.

Also, it's been multiple years that so many people within the community
agree that Eventlet was a very bad choice, and that we should get rid of
it. But nobody is taking any action (or did I miss some attempts?). :/

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)