[nova][dev] Fixing eventlet monkey patching in Nova

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 13:48:09 UTC 2019

The latest patch is here, and finally passes CI:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/626952/ . Note that it's been through
a bunch of iterations as I've played whack-a-bug, but I finally feel
pretty good about it.

A point of clarification: I believe this bug *is* a regression from
Rocky. I wasn't previously clear on that myself, but looking at the
history I have convinced myself, at least, that this is the case. In
Rocky, wsgi apps were not monkey patched, and they did not require it.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/592698/ (Batch results per cell when
doing cross-cell listing) landed on 25th August 2018, which regressed
wsgi apps by introducing an eventlet dependency in nova-api without
adding monkey patching to wsgi apps.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/592285/ (Make monkey patch work in
uWSGI mode) added monkey patching to wsgi apps, but added it late in
the import order such that it still fails for some library version
combinations. My patch moves the monkey patching of wsgi apps much
earlier in the import order, which finally fixes the original
regression introduced by cross-cell listing.

The whole eventlet monkey patching situation is still a hack, and this
change is really just rearranging the sticky tape. However, a fix is
necessary Stein which was not required for Rocky. For Train/U it would
be great to start ripping it out.

Matt