[all][tc] Which py3 unit tests to run in Stein

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Mar 8 01:01:56 UTC 2019

tl;dr

* Continue with the goal to add py36 tests
* Add py37 tests if you can
* Integration tests are being migrated from Xenial to Bionic before the
Stein release. Once that migration happens we will drop py35 tests, but
please don't do it yet

The TC held a special meeting today to determine which versions of
Python 3 to test in the Stein and Train releases. Minutes are here:

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc_python3/2019/tc_python3.2019-03-07-21.00.html

The choice of versions for Train is already well-defined under a formula
previously agreed by the TC:
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20181024-python-update-process.html

For Train, we will unit test py27, py36, and py37.

We'll capture this in a Zuul template
(https://review.openstack.org/641878) and set a project-wide goal for
everyone to switch to it *after* Train development opens. In practice
this will likely mean that a goal champion will auto-propose
self-testing patches to all repos, and projects will be able to test and
merge when ready during Train.

For Stein we already have a project-wide goal for all projects that
support Python3 to unit test on py36:
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/python3-first.html#python-3-6-unit-test-jobs
- please complete that if you haven't already done so!

Python3.7 testing is obviously coming up in Train, so if you can add
py37 jobs now, please do. Some distros are already shipping on py37 and
they would appreciate it. However, this is not _required_.

The intention is to switch all integration tests from Xenial to Bionic.
For non-legacy Zuul jobs this switch was already planned for next week.
The intention now is to switch the bulk of legacy jobs as well - caveats
apply, so stay tuned for a separate email from gmann with more details
and the schedule. Completing this migration before the end of Stein
allows us to drop py35 testing in Train. We *will* eventually drop py35
support in Stein (we don't want it to run on stable/stein), but *not
yet*. You can drop py35 once *all* of the integration tests (not just
the ones for that project) have migrated to Bionic.

thanks,
Zane.