[tc] Revamping the Help Needed List

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 01:25:52 UTC 2019

The idea of reworking the Help Needed List [0] to better describe the
business value of an initiative has cropped up several times recently.

I attempted to try and write up what I thought that might look like, but
for unified limits and not an existing item on the list [1]. Based on
the feedback in that review, it sounds useful to keep doing. As such,
I've _attempted_ to do the same for all existing items on the list [2-6].

I'll be completely transparent and apologize if I missed key points in
what the original authors were trying to relay. But, that's what we have
review for. The patch for reworking the Goal Champions item actually
includes an introduction on the intended audiences for the document.
Matt suggested this in review and I was having a tough time
transitioning between writing for developers and writing for people with
resources to delegate, since it felt like most of the original items
were written with developers in mind. Based on the feedback from Alan in
Vancouver, it seems like we need to be more direct in targeting
particular decision makers. Ultimately, making it as clear as possible
what each initiative brings, value-wise, to a potential sponsor.

At this point, I think we're good to continue in review? But, I at least
wanted to describe the reason behind the changes and my perspective in
case folks have been focused on other things and need context about
these new changes.

Thanks,

Lance

[0] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/help-most-needed.html