[openstack-dev][magnum] Project updates

feilong feilong at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Jul 31 09:03:39 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Now we're very close to the milestone-2 of Train release. I'd like to
take this opportunity to update the project status of Magnum.

So far, we have done some great work in this cycle which make Magnum to
achieve to a higher level. The first feature I'd like to highlight is
the k8s version rolling upgrade. With this feature, user can upgrade
their k8s version with zero downtime for their application. Another one
is auto scaling, now Magnum can support k8s cluster auto scaling by
leveraging the Cluster Autoscaler (there is a OpenStack Magnum driver
contributed by CERN team). Besides, Magnum now can support auto repair,
aka auto healing, by using a combination of Draino, Cluster Autoscaler
and Node Problem Detector.

Except above work we have done, there are still a lot of cool features
coming:

1. The first one I'd like to mention is the boot volume support. With
this feature, user can boot k8s cluster node from volume and user can
even set the volume type which is super useful if the cloud provider can
support high performance storage, e.g. NVME. And a new useful label
named "etcd_volume_type" will be introduced by the way so that user can
set the volume type for etcd volume to get a great performance for etcd
cluster.

2. Private cluster. With this feature, user can set the network, subnet
and floating IP when creating cluster with a public cluster template,
which is very handy when user want to use public templates but still
want to create the cluster in their existing network.

3. Another super fancy feature is introducing a new auto healing
controller except the Draino+CA+NPD combination. Recently, we (Catalyst
Cloud) contributed our Magnum auto healer[1] to Cloud-Provider-Openstack
repo and we're trying to introduce it to Magnum as another auto healing
controller, it would be also very useful for end user to get a zero
downtime k8s cluster.

As you can see, there are quite a lot of exciting features are being
introduced into Magnum, however all of them are done by such a small
team. What a cool team! As you know, Kubernetes is still evolving very
fast, so we're very keen to get more help from the community. We're
working hard to add some new core members to our existing team, but we
do need more.

In short, if you're interested in provisioning Kubernetes on OpenStack,
please try Magnum and feel free to pop up on #openstack-containers for
any question. Cheers.

--
Cheers & Best regards,
Feilong Wang (王飞龙)
Email: flwang at catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Limited
Level 6, Catalyst House, 150 Willis Street, Wellington