[Nova] migration issue

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 13:35:10 UTC 2019

On 7/25/2019 7:50 AM, Budai Laszlo wrote:
> Can you please clarify one more thing: how is the resize involved in this cold migration. Apparently it is trying to resize before it would copy the files. Is there any document that describes the steps of the migration?

Resize and cold migration are the same flow under the covers, the only
difference being a resize has a new flavor while a cold migration does
not (and for the libvirt driver you can't cold migrate to the same host
like a resize).

I don't think we have a reference doc on the low-level resize / cold
migration flow like we have for live migration [1] (we should add one
though, I could probably sketch it out pretty quickly if someone can
throw it into the docs). I did find this pretty old blog [2] that might
help - note it's from 2014 though so parts of it might be inaccurate by now.

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/reference/live-migration.html
[2]
http://bodenr.blogspot.com/2014/03/openstack-nova-vm-migration-live-and.html

Matt