[kolla][nova][cinder] Got Gateway-Timeout error on VM evacuation if it has volume attached.

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 22:36:02 UTC 2019

On 7/18/2019 3:53 AM, Eddie Yen wrote:
> Before I try to evacuate host, the source host had about 24 VMs running.
> When I shutdown the node and execute evacuation, there're few VMs
> failed. The error code is 504.
> Strange is those VMs are all attach its own volume.
>
> Then I check nova-compute log, a detailed error has pasted at below link;
> https://pastebin.com/uaE7YrP1
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this? I googled but no enough
> information about this.

Are there errors in the cinder-api logs during the evacuate of all VMs
from the host? Are you doing the evacuate operation on all VMs on the
host concurrently or in serial? I wonder if you're over-loading cinder
and that's causing the timeout somehow. The timeout from cinder is when
deleting volume attachment records, which would be terminating
connections in the storage backend under the covers. Check the
cinder-volume logs for errors as well.

Matt