[nova] review guide for the bandwidth patches

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 00:35:21 UTC 2019

On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 13:20:54 +0000, Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:
> [...]
>          backend several years ago but odl did not implement the required features so this mechanium was never used.
>          i am not aware of any ml2 dirver that actully impmented bandwith check but before placement was created this
>          the mechinium that at least my team at intel and some others had been planning to use.
>

> so in rocky the vm should boot, there will be no prevention of over subsciption in placement and netuon will configure
> the minium bandwith policy if the network backend suports it. The ingress qos minium bandwith rules was only added in
> neutron be egress qos minium bandwith support was added in newton with
> https://github.com/openstack/neutron/commit/60325f4ae9ec53734d792d111cbcf24270d57417#diff-4bbb0b6d12a0d060196c0e3f10e57cec
> so there are will be a lot of existing cases where ports will have minium bandwith policies before stein.
>
> if we repeat the same exercise with rocky nova and stein neutron this changes slightly in that
> neutron will look at the qos policy associates with the port and add a resouce request. as rocky nova
> will not have code to parse the resource requests form the neutron port they will be ignored and
> the vm will boot, the neutron bandwith will configure minium bandwith enforcement on the port, placement will
> model the bandwith as a inventory but no allocation will be created for the vm.
>
>    note: i have not checked the neutron node to confirm the qos plugin will still work without the placement allocation
>          but if it dose not its a bug as stien neutron would nolnger work with pre stien nova. as such we would have
>          broken the ablity to upgrade nova and neutron seperatly.
>
> if you use stein nova and stein neutron and the new micro version then the vm boots, we allocate the bandiwth in
> placement and configure the enforment in the networking backend if it supports it which is our end goal.
>
> the last configuration is stein nova and stien neutron with old microviron.
> this will happen in two cases.
> first the no micorverion is specified explcitly and openstack client is used since it will not negocitate the latest
> micro version or an explict microversion is passed.
>
> if the last rocky  micro version was passed for example and we chose to ignore the presence of the resouce request then
> it would work the way it did with nova rocky and neutron stien above. if we choose to reject the request instead
> anyone who tries to preform instance actions on an existing instance will break after nova is upgraded to stien.
>
> while the fact over subsription is may happend could be problematic to debug for some i think the ux cost is less then
> the cost of updating all software that used egress qos since it was intoduced in newton to explcitly pass the latest
> microversion.
>
> i am in favor of adding a microversion by the way, i just think we should ignore the resouce request if an old

Thanks for describing this detailed scenario -- I wasn't realizing that
today, you can get _some_ QoS support by pre-creating ports in neutron
with resource requests attached and specifying those ports when creating
a server. I understand now the concern with the idea of rejecting
requests < new microversion + port.resource_request existing on
pre-created ports. And there's no notion of being able to request QoS
support via ports created by Nova (no change in Nova API or flavor
extra-specs in the design). So, I could see this situation being reason
enough not to reject requests when an old microversion is specified.

But, let's chat more about it via a hangout the week after next (week of
January 14 when Matt is back), as suggested in #openstack-nova today.
We'll be able to have a high-bandwidth discussion then and agree on a
decision on how to move forward with this.