[openstack-dev] [python3] Enabling py37 unit tests

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Wed Feb 27 16:23:19 UTC 2019

On 26/02/19 11:37 AM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 05:28:19PM +0100, Moises Guimaraes de Medeiros wrote:
>> So, at this point, is it OK to have projects running against both py35 and
>> py37 and considering py36 covered as being included in the interval?

According to the resolution we should unit test "[e]ach Python 3 version
that is the default in any of the Linux distributions specifically
identified in the Project Testing Interface at the beginning of the
development cycle."

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20181024-python-update-process.html#unit-tests

Python 3.6 is the default in Ubuntu Bionic and openSUSE Leap 15.0, so we
should keep py36 jobs running.

(Unit test jobs are not particularly expensive, so we shouldn't worry
too much about running 4 of them.)

>> Also about the lowest supported version, I think that is the one that
>> should be stated in the envlist of tox.ini to fail fast during development.
>>

> In my opinion, the py35 jobs should all be dropped.

I'm all for getting rid of py35 ASAP, but a prerequisite for that would
be that we move all integration test jobs to Bionic (from Xenial).
Apparently gmann has a plan for that to happen in Stein, but we haven't
set it as a goal or anything. If that ended up working out we could drop
it in Train though (the resolution says we should unit test "[e]ach
Python 3 version that was still used in any integration tests at the
beginning of the development cycle").

> The official runtime for Stein is py36, and the upcoming runtime is py37, so it
> doesn't add much value to be running py35 tests at this point.

It prevents a project from breaking another project's Xenial-based
integration tests by committing some trivial non-py35-compatible code
(e.g. f-strings).

cheers,
Zane.