[dev][qa][tempest-plugins] Fixing the setting and usage of service_availability config option in tempest plugins

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Tue Feb 26 12:43:34 UTC 2019

HI All,

After we split all the tempest plugins into the separate repo, service_available.<service-name> registration
is in happening in the corresponding tempest plugins with default value as true. Example [1].

This leave service_available.<service-name> config options might have incorrect value and its incorrect usage
when it is used in cross tempest plugin.  Bugs[2]

Recently Octavia-tempest-plugin faced the issue of duplicating the registration of same config option[3].

Previously Devstack used to set all the service_available config option which will be removed as devstack
should be responsible to take care of 6 services only owned by Tempest and rest all goes on the service's
devstack plugin side [4].

Current problem:
1. service_available.<service-name> default value is True and not set based on actual service availability.
2. tempest plugins need required tempest plugin to installed which register service_available.<service-name>
config option but they are not in requirement.txt.

To fix both problems, we need to do fixes in service and tempest plugin side.
1. Devstack should set only tempest own services - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/619973/
2. each plugin to set their service as service_availability in their devstack plugin - In progress
3. Change the default value of service_available.<service> config option default value to false.
4. Add used tempest plugins in tempest plugins's requirements.txt after adding it in g-r.

step#3 which change the config option default value from True to False will be done after step#2, to avoid
any backward incompatible changes in term of skip the tests in any job.
Third party CI reply on that default value has to set its value based on actual service availability check if they do not do currently.

I am going to push the patches on service and plugin side, please let me know your opinion, feedback or any concern on this approach.

[1]  https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/barbican-tempest-plugin/tree/barbican_tempest_plugin/config.py#n19
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/congress/+bug/1743688
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1817154
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/619973/