[tc][election] candidate question: strategic leadership

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Thu Feb 21 15:04:29 UTC 2019

On 21/02/2019 12:52, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> With the changes at the Foundation level, adding new OIPs, a few board
> members have suggested that this is an opportunity for the TC to evolve
> from providing what some have seen as tactical management through
> dealing with day-to-day issues to more long-term strategic leadership
> for the project. This theme has also come up in the recent discussions
> of the role of the TC, especially when considering how to make
> community-wide technical decisions and how much influence the TC should
> have over the direction individual projects take.
>
> What do you think OpenStack, as a whole, should be doing over the next
> 1, 3, and 5 years? Why?

I think that as a project we should be looking at ways to be good
nieghbours to other Open Source Infrastructure projects (both inside and
outside of the OpenStack Foundation).

From the Foundation level I think we fall into the Data Centre Stratigic
Focus Area, and this is a good place for us to focus our efforts -
becoming the Linux of the datacentre is a good goal.

This does not mean just compute either - replacing as much of the DC
boxes as we can should be our goal.

Things like load balancing, networking, DNS (of course), GPUs /
FPGAs, are all as much a part of automating the datacentre as compute
and storage.

Doing it in a way that is portable, so that other projects know that if
they target OpenStack as a base they get a known base is also core to
this.