[tc][election] candidate question: strategic leadership

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 15:52:04 UTC 2019

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 1:56 PM Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

> With the changes at the Foundation level, adding new OIPs, a few board
> members have suggested that this is an opportunity for the TC to evolve
> from providing what some have seen as tactical management through
> dealing with day-to-day issues to more long-term strategic leadership
> for the project. This theme has also come up in the recent discussions
> of the role of the TC, especially when considering how to make
> community-wide technical decisions and how much influence the TC should
> have over the direction individual projects take.
>
> What do you think OpenStack, as a whole, should be doing over the next
> 1, 3, and 5 years? Why?

Good question. I know this attempt of providing a clear direction over the
future from the TC has been thought since [1].
Now we also have [2] in place that requires projects feedback.

FWIW, (and I think I said that in another thread and in my candicacy
email), OpenStack should put short-term efforts on having all the service
projects supporting upgrades and scalability (think for example of
Mohammed's wishes about having a magic wand for fixing all the RabbitMQ
issues he has).

A more difficult brainstorming would be to think of what would become
OpenStack in 2 years. Given how the IT world is fastly evolving, I think
there is a will for high throughput, highly resilient infrastructure as a
service. That would be one of the items I'd like to see engaged in order to
make OpenStack a silver bullet for high performance computing and network.

Now, for 5 years, I'd like to look at the mirror and compare with what was
the IT ecosystem 5 years ago. By that time, a new startup company was just
showing some progress in showcasing how they were using containers.
I guess in 5 years, applications being cloud-aware will be the norm.
Accordingly, OpenStack has to evolve to match with this and provide the
infrastructure than can hyperscale from 1 to the infinity.

-Sylvain

[1]
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20170404-vision-2019.html
[2] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/technical-vision.html