[ironic] Hardware leasing with Ironic

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 21:32:22 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 06, 2019 at 04:00:40PM +0000, Tim Bell wrote:

> A few years ago, there was a discussion in one of the summit forums
> where users wanted to be able to come along to a generic OpenStack
> cloud and say "give me the flavor that has at least X GB RAM and Y
> GB disk space".  At the time, the thoughts were that this could be
> done by doing a flavour list and then finding the smallest one which
> matched the requirements.

The problem is that "flavor list" part: that implies that every time
someone adds a new hardware configuration to the environment (maybe
they add a new group of machines, or maybe they simply upgrade
RAM/disk/etc in some existing nodes), they need to manually create
corresponding flavors.  That also implies that you could quickly end
up with an egregious number of flavors to represent different types of
available hardware.  Really, what we want is the ability to select
hardware based on Ironic introspection data, without any manual steps
in between.

I'm still not clear on whether there's any way to make this work with
existing tools, or if it makes sense to figure out to make Nova do
this or if we need something else sitting in front of Ironic.

> For reserving, you could install the machine with a simple image and then let the user rebuild with their choice?

That's probably a fine workaround for now.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {irc,twitter,github}
http://blog.oddbit.com/                |