[all][tc] Formalizing cross-project pop-up teams

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Tue Feb 5 12:11:22 UTC 2019

Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis at gmx.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 12:49:19PM +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>>Lance Bragstad wrote:
>>>[..]
>>>Outside of having a formal name, do we expect the "pop-up" teams to
>>>include processes that make what we went through easier? Ultimately, we
>>>still had to self-organize and do a bunch of socializing to make progress.
>>
>>I think being listed as a pop-up team would definitely facilitate
>>getting mentioned in TC reports, community newsletters or other
>>high-vsibility community communications. It would help getting space to
>>meet at PTGs, too.
>
>I guess this is the main value I see from this proposal. If it helps with
>visibility and communications around the effort then it does add some value to
>give them an official name.

I agree - speaking from SIG experience, visibility and communications
is one of the biggest challenges with small initiatives.

>I don't think it changes much else. Those working in the group will still need
>to socialize the changes they would like to make, get buy-in from the project
>teams affected that the design approach is good, and find enough folks
>interested in the changes to drive it forward and propose the patches and do
>the other work needed to get things to happen.
>
>We can try looking at processes to help support that. But ultimately, as with
>most open source projects, I think it comes down to having enough people
>interested enough to get the work done.

Sure.  I particularly agree with your point about processes; I think
the TC (or whoever else volunteers) could definitely help lower the
barrier to starting up a pop-up team by creating a cookie-cutter kind
of approach which would quickly set up any required infrastructure.
For example it could be a simple form or CLI-based tool posing
questions like the following, where the answers could facilitate the
bootstrapping process:

- What is the name of your pop-up team?

- Please enter a brief description of the purpose of your pop-up team.

- If you will use an IRC channel, please state it here.

- Do you need regular IRC meetings?

- Do you need a new git repository?  [If so, ...]

- Do you need a new StoryBoard project?  [If so, ...]

- Do you need a [badge] for use in Subject: headers on openstack-discuss?

etc.

The outcome of the form could be anything from pointers to specific
bits of documentation on how to set up the various bits of
infrastructure, all the way through to automation of as much of the
setup as is possible.  The slicker the process, the more agile the
community could become in this respect.