[all][tc] Formalizing cross-project pop-up teams

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Fri Feb 1 14:55:53 UTC 2019

On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 12:49:19PM +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Lance Bragstad wrote:
> > [..]
> > Outside of having a formal name, do we expect the "pop-up" teams to
> > include processes that make what we went through easier? Ultimately, we
> > still had to self-organize and do a bunch of socializing to make progress.
>
> I think being listed as a pop-up team would definitely facilitate
> getting mentioned in TC reports, community newsletters or other
> high-vsibility community communications. It would help getting space to
> meet at PTGs, too.

I guess this is the main value I see from this proposal. If it helps with
visibility and communications around the effort then it does add some value to
give them an official name.

I don't think it changes much else. Those working in the group will still need
to socialize the changes they would like to make, get buy-in from the project
teams affected that the design approach is good, and find enough folks
interested in the changes to drive it forward and propose the patches and do
the other work needed to get things to happen.

We can try looking at processes to help support that. But ultimately, as with
most open source projects, I think it comes down to having enough people
interested enough to get the work done.

Sean