[horizon][requirements] django-3 blocked by usage of django-babel

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 20:24:39 UTC 2019

Update on django-babel/enmerkar.

To switch django-babel to enmerkar, we need:
(1) Cleanup babel configurations in horizon plugins, and
(2) Switch django-babel to enmerkar in global-requirements

To move (1) forward, I proposed patches to horizon plugins [1].
The babel extractors are registered via entry points so this change makes the
maintenance simple regardless of that we switch to enmerkar.

Once the cleanup of babel configurations in horizon plugins is done,
the cost of switching the babel extractor for django would be low as
we can switch the babel extractor for django only by changing it in the horizon
repo (+ requirements repo), so I think we can switch enmerkar and if
the situation
changes we can switch back to django-babel or others.

Regarding (2), I proposed patches both to the requirements and horizon
repos [2][3].

The current blocking issue is that enmerkar depends on Django>=2.2 but horizon
still supports Django 1.11. We plan to drop Django 1.11 support in
Ussuri milestone-2,
so we need to wait until Django 1.11 support is dropped. (python 2.7
support has been
dropped in most horizon plugins so there is no blocking topic for
django 1.11 drop.)

(side note)
django-babel is not a runtime requirement of horizon. It is just used
when we extract
translation strings and the current user is the infra translation jobs
[4], so I think we don't
need to care co-installability much. It can be moved to
test-requirements.txt in horizon
and we can install django-babel/enmerkar explicitly in
common_translation_update.sh in [4].

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/q/topic:babel-config+(status:open+OR+status:merged)
[2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/700727/ (requirements repo)
[3] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/700728/ (horizon repo)