[horizon][requirements] django-3 blocked by usage of django-babel

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun Dec 29 16:57:58 UTC 2019

On 12/28/19 3:59 PM, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 5:57 AM Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/23/19 9:59 AM, Akihiro Motoki wrote:
>>> The subject of this thread looks confusing to me.
>>> "django-3 blocked by usage of django-babel"
>>>
>>> Horizon team has not adopted Django 3.
>>> An issue I noticed is that django-babel is not compatible with Django 2.2 and
>>> translation message extraction in the master branch is now broken.
>>>
>>> If some test tries to install Django 3, it would be due to some
>>> misconfiguration.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Akihiro
>>
>> Well, it'd be nice to have plans to get Django 3 compat for the end of
>> this cycle, otherwise, we'll get again stuck in downstream
>> distributions, just like we've been stuck in Debian with a broken
>> Horizon for nearly the whole of the last summer (due to Django 2.2 and
>> the new view class instead of method thing breaking all ...).
>>
>> I guess we're all being super tired of Django breaking the world every 2
>> weeks. At least, I am. But I don't think we have any alternatives...
>> (and no, I do not have time, neither probably the skills, to work on
>> this, sorry...)

Hi Akihiro,

> Djagno 3 support is not in the list of horizon priorities in Ussuri
> cycle as it is not an LTS release.

I often get this type of answer from the Horizon team. Unfortunately,
this doesn't help with the situation. When Django 3 will reach Debian
Sid, Horizon will likely be broken, regardless of Django 3 being LTS or not.

> It is documented in [1]. The top priorities are found in [2].
> I don't think we can do it as a priority considering the resource of
> the active horizon developers.
> It completely depends on development resources and is a topic of investment.
> If someone is responsible to work on it to support both Django 2.2 and
> 3, I am happy to review it.

Sure! I completely understand.

<ranting about django upstream>
Something like the Linux kernel never breaks userland, and it's been
like this for decades. As I wrote, Django is breaking the world every 6
months. Not only these happen, but Django upstream only document it in
the release note with "thing Z is removed in this release", when really,
they should be saying "if you wrote X, then you should write Y instead
to address Z being removed". Then we always got to search the internet
for someone who already understood the breakage and fixed it, though
when a new release of Django just happened, it's hard to find such
example. All of this is annoying, frustrating, and IMO not professional
at all from the Django upstream.

I'm not sure how we can move things toward a better direction so the
madness stops.
</ranting>

On top of that, very rarely, there's enough resources in the Horizon
team to address the breakage early enough. I often tried to fix a few
things, but I lack enough time and skills (both are related, of course:
if I can't find time to work on these, I can't learn and get skills).

Anyway, thanks for your answer,

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)