[nova][scheduler] - Stack VMs based on RAM

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 19:19:26 UTC 2019

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 22:02:43 +0300, Georgios Dimitrakakis
<giorgis at acmac.uoc.gr> wrote:

>   Thank you both Melanie and Matt for trying to assist me.
>
>   I have double checked the nova.conf at the controller and here is what
>   I have (ignored hashed lines and obfuscating sensitive data):
>   https://pastebin.com/hW1PE4U7
>
>   As you can see I have everything with default values as discussed
>   before with Melanie except the filters and the weight that I have
>   applied that should lead to VM stacking instead of spreading.
>
>   My case scenario is with two compute hosts (let's call them "cpu1" and
>   "cpu2") and when an instance is already placed on "cpu2" I expect the
>   as you can see from the scheduler log that can find here:
>   https://pastebin.com/sCzB9L2e
>
>   Do you see something strange that I fail to recognize?

Thanks for providing the helpful data. It appears you have set your
nova.conf correctly (this is where your scheduler is running, yes?). I
notice you have duplicated the ram_weight_multiplier setting but that
shouldn't hurt anything.

The relevant scheduler log is this one:

2019-04-17 19:53:07.303 98874 DEBUG nova.scheduler.filter_scheduler
[req-02fb5504-cbdb-4219-9509-d2be9da7bb0e
6a4c2e32919e4a6fa5c5d956beb68eef 9f22e9bfa7974e14871d58bbb62242b2 -
default default] Weighed [(cpu1, cpu1) ram: 32153MB disk: 1906688MB
io_ops: 0 instances: 0, (cpu2, cpu2) ram: 30105MB disk: 1886208MB
io_ops: 0 instances: 1] _get_sorted_hosts
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nova/scheduler/filter_scheduler.py:455

and here we see that host 'cpu1' is being weighed ahead of host 'cpu2',
which is the problem. I don't understand this considering the docs say
that setting the ram_weight_multiplier to a negative value should result
in the host with the lesser RAM being weighed higher/first. According to
your log, the opposite is happening -- 'cpu1' with 32153MB RAM is being
weighed higher than 'cpu2' with 30105MB RAM.

Either your ram_weight_multiplier setting is not being picked up or
there's a bug causing weight to be applied with reverse logic?

Can you look at the scheduler debug log when the service first started
up and verify what value of ram_weight_multiplier the service is using?

-melanie