[placement][ptg] Allocation Partitioning

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 00:22:14 UTC 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 19:13:05 -0500, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 4/16/2019 4:03 PM, melanie witt wrote:
>> Consumer types would enable us to count instances from placement, I believe.
>
> I don't see how. The GET /usages API doesn't return anything until there
> are allocations, and there aren't allocations until the scheduler picks
> a host and creates the allocations, and that might fail resulting in
> NoValidHost and a server in ERROR status but that doesn't mean there
> aren't any instances. Changing that would be a break in behavior for
> counting instances.

True, but now that you mention it, it seems the current proposed patch
for counting cores and ram from placement results in a similar break in
behavior. Today, an ERROR instance that has never been scheduled will
consume cores and ram quota usage, but would not consume any in the same
scenario when we count cores and ram from placement because of lack of
allocations.

-melanie