[placement][ptg] Allocation Partitioning

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Apr 16 16:32:03 UTC 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019, Dan Smith wrote:

>> Obviously, all consumers are currently Nova instances in placement
>> since (AFAIK) no other services have begun using placement to store
>> allocations.
>
> This is not the case, actually. In Nova, we can have consumers that are
> instances, as well as consumers that are migrations (related to
> instances, but distinct). In order to be able to distinguish between the
> two, a partitioning key (I'd prefer we call this consumer type too) is
> needed. The quota work needs this specifically, so that we can know the
> usage by instances separately from usage that is reserved or pinned by
> an ongoing migration.

When you think of "consumer type" do you imagine it as an
enumeration with members similar to "instance",
"instance-migration", "reservation" where those types are the same
in all placement deployments, including those which are being used
by multiple clouds (or multiple novas).

What I'm trying to make sure about is: Is this a concept that is
fully distinct from resource provider partitioning/shards/whatever
the right word is, solely associated a consumer and the allocations
it has right now? If not, how so?

Thanks.